Saturday, July 31, 2010

How can I cut my 4 year old cats nails without him screamming?

When I cut my cat's nails, I sit on the floor with my legs crossed. I cradle him with one arm while I cut his nails with the other hand. I also talk to him to comfort him while I cut his nails.How can I cut my 4 year old cats nails without him screamming?
I went to the vet and he gave me a mild seditive to give to him before they cut his nails.

Report Abuse


How can I cut my 4 year old cats nails without him screamming?
I hope you are not cutting him too deep. This is very painful for the cat, no wonder he is screaming! Just cut the tips. Or take him to the vet for 5 bucks and let them do it.
Just cut the very tips
He really shouldn't be screaming - maybe angry cause you're restricting his movment, but not screaming. Maybe you're cutting too far down. Look closely when you push on the pad of his foot to make the nails come out. You can see a darker white inside of the nail, DON'T cut this. Where you see it thin out and disappear is the furthest down you should clip. Get the nail clippers made for pets from a pet store - they make a nice clean cut. I've used regular ';human'; nail clippers, but they tend to shred the nail a bit, which can be uncomfortable later for a kitty. Oh, and ditto on sitting him between your legs. Give him treats, pet him, clip one paw, give another treat, pet, clip another paw, and so on. Don't turn him upside down. If he REALLY hates being held, then wrap him in a towel. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment