Saturday, August 21, 2010

Can I clip my 3 month old kittens nails?

His claws are HUGE. I get cut by him on accident at least a couple of times a day. Is it too early to cut them?Can I clip my 3 month old kittens nails?
Sure, if you have a small pair of human finger nail clippers; wrap the kitten in a towel an place it on its back in your lap (that is if it will let you); or get someone to hold the kitten up in front of you and just snip the very tips off the kittens nails.


They are never too young to start them getting used to having their nails trimmed.


If for some reason you cut the quick, don't panic. Just hold a damp cloth on the kittens paw or nail for a few minutes and the blood will soon clot and it will stop bleeding.


If, for some reason the bleeding seems excessive to you, if you have some baby powder you can squirt a little powder into the end of the toenail and that will help the blood coagulate.


Good Luck!Can I clip my 3 month old kittens nails?
It is not too early to cut them in fact the earlier you start the easier it is to get him used to it. When you look at his nails from the side just cut the white part. If you accidentally cut the pink you can stop the bleeding with corn starch of flour.


If you have trouble keeping him still, wrap him in a blanket and just pull out one paw at a time.





Btw: it is NOT TRUE that a cat will bleed to death if you cant stop th bleeding from cutting too short. If you have to just leave it, it WILL eventually stop.
Definitely not to early to start! In fact the earier the better! get them used to the idea early with plenty of loving and a treat when they behave, and let them know this is going to be a regular thing. I started with my cats immediately. Now, what happens is if I even EXAMINE their claws, and decide that they are not ready for a trim, if they are good, they still expect a little treat. They look on it as personal cuddle time.





I assume you keep your baby inside? It is a good idea to examine and clip the back claws too, or they can curve under too far and poke into the pads. I have noticed they don't like having their back claws clipped nearly as well as they put up with the front ones.





The earlier you start, the better! Just be very careful not to cut the quick, and get a little help if you think you need it.
It's fine to be trimming his nails and you want to get him used to the experience so that he's more tolerant of it as an adult.





All you need to take off is just the tip and you won't get scratched as easily. I hold the kitten on my lap, with him in a belly up semi-reclining position. I use the small children's sized nail clippers. And once you get comfortable doing it, the quicker you can get finished the better.





I always offer my pets a small treat/biscuit after nail trimming so it ends on a positive note.





Also, please don't neglect your scratches. If it breaks the skin, you need to wash it and apply some antibiotic ointment.
You can cut them anytime. For tiny guys like this, I just use human nail clippers. I take off just enough to dull em down. Cat's nails are clear so it's easy to see what you're doing, though you may need a 2nd person to hold the cat while you hold the foot. Gently squeezing the toe from front to back will cause the claw to extend. Avoid the pink part (where the nail gets much thicker) and just remove the thin pointy end. Start with a sleeping kitten, and you can usually get a foot or two done before they realize what's going on. Or you can use a nail file.
It shouldn't be too early. If you are afraid of cutting them too short, just get a few millimeters off the tip. I actually use human baby fingernail clippers turn sideways to clip cat nails. It lets me be more precise. I get the one with the white handle that fits in your palm. Those cat nail clippers can be huge.
You can cut them at any time. Use plain old human nail clippers, and be sure to look for the pink quick in the middle of the nail . You don't want to take too much off and cut into that - it will hurt!
its perfectly fine... they cant feel it... but i dont suggest using nail clippers... they brake the nail and that can be painful to the cat... and if you cut too close they could bleed to death...
yes but you can file them down a little just not too much
No, it isn't too early to cut them. I started doing this when Abby was 3 months old. Just be very careful. Avoid the quick when you trim the claw; cutting into it will cause pain and bleeding.
Call a vet...probably better than asking us.
yes cut them i do my kittens claws twice a month.
  • stop blackheads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment